22.2.08

Take Five, People, That’s a Wrap

Estoy: Okay, but suffering from a bad case of "the Fridays1"
Currently Reading:
Wicked, by Gregory Maguire. Adult Fiction. 5/5, but there's a definite reason that it's adult.

Imagine if you will…poor schoolchildren being forced by their slightly insane and not even cool teacher to do a stupid assignment. Especially at the very end of the day on a Friday when the week feels like it's been forever though in reality it only lasted for four days. I'm sure that most of you don't have to imagine that; it has probably been a sad reality for you at sometime or other in your life. For those of you who have figured out that I'm not just into hypotheticals right now and that I'm actually maybe talking about my day, that is what I call talent.
So, you may be asking, what is said stupid assignment that us poor school children are being forced to do2? Well, today we were being forced to write a "commercial" persuading people to join the Greek army. Okay, we are studying Greek Mythology in English, and we are reading The Iliad (or a very cheap and not nearly as eloquent copy3), but explain to me how this translates into making a commercial so nonexistent people can join a nonexistent army in order to fight a nonexistent war? It doesn't, as close as I can figure. But if anyone has a good reason for it, drop me a line, kay? Anyhow, it was…well, quite a disaster if you ask me. Our group is slightly grouply impaired, i.e., we can't seem to do anything without arguing. Needless to say, I ended up writing the whole script. While I thought it sucked, my partners were quite pleased. Recording it didn't go too badly, and when we listened to all of the others, we discovered that everyone else's sucked as well. I guess there's really not much you can do with an assignment like that. Also on the subject of exciting English assignments would be our hero essay. Our hero has to be "a realistic person" who can "solve a [world] problem or improve the situation greatly." Again, I'm not quite sure how this relates to English and our subject right now (yes, I realize the Greeks had heroes, but they were hardly realistic. Half of them were deities), but I just chalk it up to the fact that our teacher is slightly insane. I believe I may have said that before. Anyhow, for those of you who either know me personally or at least have been keeping up with the books I'm reading, you know that, while I read a bit of pretty much everything, I love, love, love Science Fiction and Fantasy. So writing about a "realistic person" may not be too easy for me. I mean, no uber technology, no magic, no superhuman powers? Knowing my teacher, super smarts probably wouldn't go over to well, either. Obviously, this is going to be a bit of a problemo for Caryn. I don't know that I'll be able to make it interesting. Creative writing project? Hah. English has a way of sucking all the creativity right out of me.
On the plus side, I do have a band concert in 4 days! On the downside, we have one and a half rehearsals left. And oh yeah, people are still making way too many mistakes with the music. I mean, yesterday, a certain trombonist was say, a note sharp. Let me tell you, that is quite a bit of discord. I don't get it, I really don't. We've been playing for 4 and a half years now. We tune every day at the beginning of band. And we've had the music for probably around 2 months now. Practicing is not that hard! I think our band director is pretty nervous as well, but maybe everyone will practice this weekend! And maybe the sky is not really blue. Ah well, we can still hope, right? Well, wish us luck…we'll probably need it. Until next time…
xxx
Caryn

1 Thanks to my State Studies teacher for that one!
2
And if you weren't asking it…well, sorry, but I'm answering it anyways.
3
But somehow, it's still just as sexist. And worse, it's illustrated. Tell me, is there a reason why the Greek Goddesses couldn't seem to keep their boobs in their shirt/dress/toga/whatever it is they wore?

2 comments:

david santos said...

Thanks for your posting and have a good day.

Unknown said...

Ah, I know what you're talking about.
I hate impaired groups.
Good luck!