7.1.08

Guidelines for the Holidays, Part I (on proper gift giving)

Estoy1: Thoughtful
Currently Reading: Click, by Linda Sue Park et al. 4/5. All royalties go to Amnesty International!

Okay, everyone, I am back! I’m extremely sorry for the long lapse between posts, but you know how hectic things get at the holidays! Especially if you happen to be traveling with a sadistic dad and a slightly annoying sister who can be bossy and a nag. But enough about that. I hope everyone had a great holiday bread and is rejuvenated and ready to go back to school. I am! Not. Well, just for your sake (and partly to keep me from going crazy2), I have compiled the list of holiday guidelines: A list of everything3 you should and should not do during the holiday season. Enjoy!

Number One: DO have presents wrapped for everyone you’re giving them to at least two days before the deadline of gift exchange. You should have the presents bought as soon as you can, and no less than a week before they are to be given. While this may sound like a hard thing to do for my fellow procrastinators out there, it will also save you from the last-minute rush before Christmas. It will also prevent you from staying up late the night before wrapping everyone’s presents. Due to my extreme amount of stress during the holidays, I will be doing this one next year.
Number Two: DO figure out who all is giving you presents, if possible. Obviously, you will know if your besties are giving you presents4, I’m talking about the people whom you are only good friends with and are probably not on your list5. If someone else asks you what you want for Christmas, take the hint and ask them as well. On another note, make sure everyone who will be receiving a present from you knows. I like to do this with the obvious, “Hey, [insert name here], what do you want for Christmas?” I like it. Simple, easy to remember6. Or maybe that would be ‘to the point.’ Ah, well. You can’t have everything. Back on topic, another way to insure that no one gets embarrassed by not having a present for you is to bring them a bit early. I did this this year, and I think I saved a friend from feeling bad7. This way, they can do the whole “I’m bringing presents on Friday, so you’ll get yours then” deal, leaving the giver (aka you) completely unsuspecting that a present is not prepared for them yet8.
Number Three: DO start making your Christmas list early so you have time to think of everything you want. Trust me, there’s nothing worse than thinking of something after all of your presents have been bought. While this method does not guaranteed that you’ll remember everything, it usually helps you think of more things. And we all know that less is not more, more is more. Elementary grammar there, people. It is also a good idea to make multiple copies of your list in case someone loses it9; otherwise, you could be having the problem of having to make your list quickly again. And trust me, you do not want that. Until next time…
xxx
Caryn

1 A Spanish word meaning, “I am.” Two points if you already knew this.
2 Or at least crazy-er. And yes, I know that’s spelled wrong. I was just trying to make a point.
3 Okay, not everything. But at least some things.
4 And I sincerely hope that they are…
5 Because you probably have about 50 friends like this, if you’re anything like me.
6 Two points if you caught that quote! Are you keeping track of your points, by the way?
7 No, I won’t tell you who it was. This is supposed to make sure they don’t get embarrassed. That would count as embarrassing.
8 Disclaimer: This will only work if they’re fairly good at lying. If they’re a bad liar, it ain’t gonna fly.
9 *coughMOMcough*

No comments: